Sometimes you have to allocate a journal entry between two departments in Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
Let’s say you need to post a debit entry and divide it between Sales and Administration departments. For instance, you need to enter $100.00 to the Sales Department and $60.00 to the Administration Department.
How to Allocate a Journal Entry Between Departments in Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- In the navigation pane, click Departments.
- Click Financial Management, then click General Ledger, and then click General Journals.
- Select a batch and enter the following three lines (click to enlarge).
- Then on the Home tab, click Dimensions for the first two lines.
- In the Dimension Code field, enter DEPARTMENT.
- In the Dimension Value Code field, enter ADM or SALES.
- Click Okay.
- Move to the next general journal line by pressing the DOWN ARROW key.
- Do not change the Document No. field.
- Now, for the third line in the Account No. field, enter 2350.
- Enter the amount as a ($160.00), no dimension code is required.
- Notice that the Balance and Total Balance fields at the bottom of the window are equal to zero.
- On the Home tab, click Post
- Click Yes to post the journal lines.
- Click Okay.
- Click Ok to close the General Journal Page
TIP: If the department dimension was a global or shortcut dimension, use the Choose Columns to make the column visible on the General Journal line page and the dimension value could then be entered right on the General Journal line.