City of St. John’s
St. John’s is the provincial capital of Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as the most populous metropolitan area in the province. It is also the second-largest city in the Atlantic provinces after Halifax.
The City of St. John’s was using several isolated and self-developed systems on outdated technology to run its day-to-day operations of the municipality.
BDO suggested Microsoft Dynamics GP and WennSoft as they provided the stability and financial reporting flexibility to create new efficiencies in the Finance and Budget departments. The City of St. John’s now has a streamlined, scalable solution that will help them grow into the future. Some of the highlights of the new solution are:
- Monthly financial reports are securely accessible on-demand via FRx and FRx WebPort to multiple departments and management personnel
- The Budget department can access encumbered versus budget versus actual data on demand or any general ledger account or range of accounts
- The Materials Management department spends less time tracking requisitions and more time sourcing and procuring the requests after approval
- Multiple departments have up-to-date and accurate statuses of each capital project, including detailed subcontractor holdback, payment release and certificate information
- Public Works, Building and Property Maintenance, Streets, and several other departments are taking advantage of the preventative maintenance functionality with WennSoft Equipment & Service Management modules to streamline and properly plan maintenance work on a multitude of municipal assets from vehicles and public buildings to fire hydrants and roads
- Payroll transactions from an outside system have been integrated into Dynamics GP and WennSoft to provide important, accurate and timely financial and operational information